[HD Pg 378, Sec. 10.4.0 - recognize-common-exception-classes]

Help and support on OCA OCP Java Programmer Certification Questions
1Z0-808, 1Z0-809, 1Z0-815, 1Z0-816, 1Z0-817

Moderator: admin

Username987654

[HD Pg 378, Sec. 10.4.0 - recognize-common-exception-classes]

Post by Username987654 »

Besides the exceptions mentioned (here in 10.4.0), is there a (known concise reference) link to any/all known reports of other exceptions being seen on the exam presented maybe in a manner that is similar to page 358 ... like a "one stop shop" tree of all known exam exceptions? Although CharConversionException, FileNotFoundException, and EOFException were mentioned in the text and are real-world practical, are knowing these and their superclasses, and/or other non-10.4.0 exceptions important for the exam? (If so [again], what are you hearing regarding the known reports of exception exam complete tree look like to-date?) Is https://enthuware.com/downloads/Excepti ... ummary.pdf still current?

admin
Site Admin

Re: [HD Pg 378, Sec. 10.4.0 - recognize-common-exception-classes]

Post by admin »

1. Yes, the exception summary document is still relevant and current. So is Section 10.4. If you know the material given in 10.4, you are good to go :)

2. No, CharConversionException, FileNotFoundException, and EOFException are not on the exam that is why the code listing in section 10.3.4 includes the comment: //assume that CharConversionException, FileNotFoundException, and EOFException extend IOException.

In the exam, you will not be required to answer question based on the knowledge of these exceptions. But using catch blocks correctly for a hierarchy of exceptions is on the exam and these exceptions are fairly well known (as compared to other standard subclasses of Exception) and are therefore good for explanatory purpose. In the exam, you may be required to know that IOException extends Exception but nothing more than that.

3. The tree of exceptions given in section 10.2 contains all the exceptions that you need to know about for the OCAJP 8 exam. Remember that, "knowing for the OCAJP 8 exam" basically just means that you need to know whether a given exception class extends Exception, RuntimeException, or Error. You don't have to worry about their constructors and methods.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

Username987654

Post by Username987654 »

So, I've been thinking about what prompted me to ask this question especially since I felt as if I knew the answer before asking the question because I have read other study guides (each author speaks in their "own" voice ). Although I must admit, I find this study guide speaks to me more in many ways due to all the very concrete and practical real world examples throughout the text, its "behind-the-rules" explanations, and not to mention the "this is how you code as a professional" nuggets throughout.

Nevertheless, I would like to see the text give "itself" more credit here:
The exam expects you to know about a few exception classes that are included in the
Java standard library.
may possibly be perhaps
The exam expects you to know about a few exception classes that are included in the
Java standard library that are covered here.
(or something to the effect of not being "required" to look outside this text, especially if this is one's one and only study guide)
?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Noted. Proposed as, "The Java standard library contains a huge number of exception classes but the exam expects you to know about only a few of them, which I will cover now. "
thank you for your feedback!
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

flex567

Post by flex567 »

There are 2 sentences that I feel are the oposite in the meaning
However, there is no Exception that is thrown exclusively by the JVM.
and then we have
Common Exceptions that are usually thrown by the JVM
Is there something missing here?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, nothing is missing here. Exclusive and usually are the operative words in the two sentences that you have quoted.