[HD Pg 129, Sec. 5.1.5 - numeric-promotion-and-primitive-wrapper-objects]

Help and support on OCA OCP Java Programmer Certification Questions
1Z0-808, 1Z0-809, 1Z0-815, 1Z0-816, 1Z0-817

Moderator: admin

flex567

[HD Pg 129, Sec. 5.1.5 - numeric-promotion-and-primitive-wrapper-objects]

Post by flex567 »

I don't know what is this referring to ?
will not compile but --bW; will compile fine due to the presence of an implicit cast as explained before.

admin
Site Admin

Re: [HD Pg 129, Sec. 5.1.5 - numeric-promotion-and-primitive-wrapper-objects]

Post by admin »

Refers to the previous paragraph under title "Curious case of unary increment/decrement and compound assignment operators".
To put it simply, the rules of numeric promotion do not apply to ++, -- and the compound assignment operators such as +=, -=, and *=. Thus, the following statements will compile fine without any explicit cast.
Observe the statements b1 *= b2; and f += d;. They behave as if they are the short hand for b1 = (byte)(b1*b2); and f = (float)(f+d); In other words, the result of a compound assignment operation is implicitly cast back to the target type irrespective of the type of the second operand.
But I do think that this para should be improved.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

flex567

Post by flex567 »

I don't understand why

Code: Select all

Byte bW = 1; bW = -bw; 
will not compile

What is the value of bw?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

oh, I see now. It should be bW (not bw). -bW will generate an int due to numeric promotion and so cannot be assigned back to bW because bW's type Byte. But --bW is fine.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

Username987654

Post by Username987654 »

I follow
Thus, as far as the compiler is concerned, it is not sure that the result of -b1 will fit into a byte and so, it refuses to compile the code.
However, I am failing to see the point of "final" (and unboxing?) in this example, since it produces the same error message without "final". I understand that the unary minus does not change the value of the variable itself anyway (so b1 is already final with respect to the unary minus operator anyway?). Also I understand that instead of what is there, if line 2 were "final Integer b2 = -b1;", then it would compile. Please help me to see the point of "The compiler doesn’t know that Byte is immutable" especially since "public final class Byte extends Number implements Comparable<Byte>"
The rules differ a bit in case of final wrapper variables though. For example, the following code will not compile:

final Byte b1 = 10;
Byte b2 = -b1; //will not compile even though b1 is final
This doesn’t work because b1 is a reference to an object. It is this reference that is final, not the contents of the object to which it points. The compiler doesn’t know that Byte is immutable. Thus, as far as the compiler is concerned, it is not sure that the result of -b1 will fit into a byte and so, it refuses to compile the code.
Also, likely related to my confusion,
The compiler doesn’t know that Byte is immutable.

should be
The compiler doesn’t know that b1 is immutable.
?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A class being final doesn't mean it is immutable because final only means that a class cannot be extended, while immutable means that an object's member fields' value doesn't change once set. But yes, I am not sure what the author had in mind with that statement. Will check.

-Paul.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here is what it is trying to get at:
1. Byte is immutable, not because it is final but because the API says so. Compiler cannot determine that a Byte object is immutable just by looking at final modifer of Byte class declaration.

2. Therefore, compiler cannot know that after this statement: final Byte b1 = 10;, the value contained by the Byte object referred to by b1 will not change. (Because it is the reference b1 which is final, not the value contained in the Byte object referred to by b1, from the compiler's perspective.)

3. Therefore, when you do -b1, the compiler is not sure whether the value of -b1 will fit into a byte (even though we know that the value -10 is small enough to fit into a byte.).

That is the reason it refuses to compile the statement: Byte b2 = -b1;

The usage of final is highlighted here because the following works:

final byte b1 = 10;
byte b2 = -b1;

The distinction between the two is that in case of a primitive variable, the value is final, but in case of a reference variable, the reference is final, not the value contained in the object that the reference is pointing to.

Username987654

Post by Username987654 »

So here is what I was going to say at first:
Unfortunately, I am still failing to see the point of "final" and unboxing within the context of this example. As mentioned, it produces the same error message (error: incompatible types: int cannot be converted to Byte) without "final". It clearly refuses to compile the statement due to the rules of numeric promotion, which have nothing to due with final, objects, Wrapper, nor unboxing as my example proves:

byte b1 = 10;
byte b2 = -b1; 

Granted, the error message (error: incompatible types: possible lossy conversion from int to byte) is a liitle different, but it proves that maybe the example here could be a little better in tying in the aforementioned intended concepts? Please clear my confusion.
Just a thought ... since neither you nor I caught what the author intended at first glance, it is possible(?) that your following explanation may benefit some, if it were part of the regular text:
The usage of final is highlighted here because the following works:

final byte b1 = 10;
byte b2 = -b1;

The distinction between the two is that in case of a primitive variable, the value is final, but in case of a reference variable, the reference is final, not the value contained in the object that the reference is pointing to.
Thank you for tying this all together.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that makes sense.