var students = new ArrayList<Student>(); //1
public static void main(String[] args) {
var student = new Student(); //2
var allStudents = new ArrayList<>(); //3
allStudents.add(student); //4
Student s2 = allStudents.get(0); //6
}
}

The reason for failling at line 6 is: "Observe that new ArrayList<>() means the type of the objects in the list is not known. So, you cannot assign an object retrieved from this list to a Student variable. Had it been new ArrayList<Student>(), the assignment would have been valid." Does it mean that I should always declare either with a known type (eg. new ArrayList<Student>()) or ignoring generic (eg. new ArrayList())? If so, shouldn't compiler reject "new ArrayList<>();" since I can´t use allStudents anyway?

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.ocpjp.i.v11.2.3058 :

Post by admin »

>Does it mean that I should always declare either with a known type (eg. new ArrayList<Student>()) or ignoring generic (eg. new ArrayList())?
No, the declaration depends on what you want to achieve. Although, I agree that uses for new ArrayList<>(); will be hard to find.

There is nothing wrong with var allStudents = new ArrayList<>(); from the compiler's perspective. You can still get elements from the list like this: Object obj = allStudents.get(0); So, the compiler has no reason to reject it.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

dimitrilc

Post by dimitrilc »

I think the explanation for answer //6 contradicts with why //5 works?

The explanation said, "the type of the objects in the list is not known", but apparently the type of objects in allStudents is Object so //5 can work.

If the type of elements in allStudents is truly unknown, then the usage of LVTI at //5 wouldn't be possible, right?

So is it more correct to say that,
//6 does not work because the type of elements inside allStudents are treated as Object type by the compiler?

Using an explicit cast allows //6 to compile as well.

Code: Select all

Student s2 = (Student) allStudents.get(0);
Can we also conclude that, when the empty diamond operator is used to declare an arrayList, the compiler treats all elements as Objects?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, you are right. This explanation was actually updated only yesterday in the latest update to the question bank. Hasn't propagated to people yet :)

ArrayList<> means that it is an ArrayList of Object instances. You can add Object instances (or its subclass instances because all objects are Objects) but take out only Object instances.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.