Am I really ready to take the real exam?

Moderator: admin

selvehed

Am I really ready to take the real exam?

Post by selvehed »

I have now gone through all the 4 standard tests. I have got a score from 62 to 70%. After each test I have gone through all explanations on both my correct answers and errors. I have also studied the related topics in both the EJB Specification and the Java EE 6 tutorial. After trying the same standard test once again I've reached 90-97% correct answers. Then I have moved to the next standard test. Once again reaching 60-70% the first time. I have repeated the studying described above. And moved on to the next test only after completely understanding all conecpts and explanations giving me 90% plus.
Now after completing the 4th test I was hoping for a result way above 73% but reached 67% to my big Disappointment. Once again I am studying the EJB Spec. I know that I will once again get 95% plus if I retake the 4th test. I have a very good memory and I seem to remember almost all questions after going through all explanations. (Too bad I don't remember Everything in the EJB Spec!!!!)
Am I ready for the real exam? I would really like to take a 5th standard test if there was one!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Am I really ready to take the real exam?

Post by admin »

67% is below passing marks. Specially considering this was your 4th exam. So, honestly, I am not comfortable suggesting you to go for the real exam. Although most people get about 5 - 10% more in real exam but this is a big risk.

The problem is that your score hasn't increased after each exam. That means you are focusing more on the questions rather than the topics. Ideally, after each mock exam you should read about the topics on which you scored less from a book. This should increase the score substantially. If you score hasn't increased much, there seems to be some problem in the way you are reading or comprehending the topics books.

I would suggest you to go through a good book on EJB. EJB Specification itself is also very good. It is not very hard to read. Also develop sample programs. Finally, take free online mock exams or purchase some other commercial one.

Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

selvehed

Post by selvehed »

Problem is that I've already done just that. Focused on the topics, not the questions. And developed sample programs too. To me it seems like the distribution of the questions have been a little weird. E.g. one of the topics I found out (after test 4) I didn't quite get is the Timer Service. I didn't realize this after test 1, 2 and 3. In test 4 there were suddenly 7 questions in total about timers. This is a really small topic in the EJB Specification. After 30 minutes of studying I sort of know "everything" about it. So when I went through the 15 timer questions in the question bank I got 100% correct. Had I studied this topic better prior to taking test 4 I would have gotten at least around 76%. My point is that it's easy to miss that you lack knowledge in one topic if it's just 1 or 2 questions on it in the first 3 tests. Then all of a sudden that topic represents 12% of the total questions! Hopefully I'm in pretty good shape even though I only got 67% correct on test 4 (after studying Timer Service).

I think I will book an exam within 2 weeks from now, and try to develop even more programs and study the concepts even closer. Then I probably will be in really good shape =)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, that sounds like a plan :)
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.