About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.828 :

Help and support on OCA OCP Java Programmer Certification Questions
1Z0-808, 1Z0-809, 1Z0-815, 1Z0-816, 1Z0-817

Moderator: admin

Sweetpin2

About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.828 :

Post by Sweetpin2 »

Since the class is public class TestClass, don't we need a public static void main(String[] args). If yes then public int main(String[] args) in same class will give duplicate method error.

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.828 :

Post by admin »

There doesn't have to be a public static void main(String[] args) in every class. i.e. it is not an error if you don't have this method in a class.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

evafang2008

Post by evafang2008 »

I think, we can write both standard main() and other version main() in one class, but only be overloaded. If just overloaded main(), no error. Right?
Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, right. But you sshould try it out.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

troydh53

Post by troydh53 »

How are we supposed to know that the main method listed was not the intended standard main method but done wrong? I thought it was intended to be the public static void main(String[] args) method, but they just wrote it wrong to see if i'd catch it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unless mentioned otherwise, in this exam, wrong or invalid implies compilation error. In this question (problem statement and options), there is no mention of execution from command line, so you don't really know of the intention. Therefore, all you can see is whether the code will compile or not.

NancyDS

Post by NancyDS »

Maybe I should not post this with this question, but this question leaves me confused.

The options to be answered: Which of the lines are invalid?
In this one "public int main(String[] args)" is not to be answered, because: " is a valid declaration of a method named main. Although, it is not a correct declaration for the standard main method that can be used to execute the class, but it is a valid method nevertheless."

I refer to the following other question and answer (enthuware.ocajp.i.v8.2.1080):
question: Which of the following are valid declarations for the standard main method:
wrong option: static void main(String args[])
answer: Although practically correct but for the purpose of this exam you should not select this option because the method is not declared public

and another wrong answer in that same question: public static int main(String args[ ]) {}
This method returns an 'int' instead of 'void'.

My confusion is in the fact that in one question a strict answer is expected but not in the other, can you give me some guidance in how to understand what is expected?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The distinction is clear:
if the question is asking about the main method that is used to execute the class, pick the one with public static void main(String args[]) or other equivalent variation.