About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.872 :

All the posts and topics that contain only an error report will be moved here after the error is corrected. This is to ensure that when users view a question in ETS Viewer, the "Discuss" button will not indicate the presence of a discussion that adds no value to the question.

Moderators: Site Manager, fjwalraven

baptize

About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.872 :

Post by baptize »

this question is very ambiguous!!!

You're giving us options to choose from based on:
A a = null;
AA aa = null;

No where in the question says that not even a hint:

A = new AA();

i suggest you rephrase this question.

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.ocajp.i.v7.2.872 :

Post by admin »

There is no hint required to answer the question. The question is not ambiguous at all.

HTH,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

cblanche

Post by cblanche »

The question is not ambigous but maybe the explanation could be improved.

((AA)a).doStuff(); will compile as this code do :
String s = null;
s.toString();
and throw a NullPointerException. If the object a is instanciated then we will have a ClassCastException.

You did a very good job for most of the explanation, thank you.

Kevin_C

Post by Kevin_C »

I had the answer correct, but I have a question above the explanation of the last option. This was the question:

Code: Select all

class A{ public int getCode(){ return 2; }
class AA extends A{ public void doStuff(){ } }
// Given the following two declarations, which of the options will compile?
A a = null;
AA aa = null;
Last option:

Code: Select all

((AA)a).doStuff();
With the explanation: "Once you cast a to AA, you can call methods defined in AA. Of course, if a does not point to an object of class AA at runtime, a ClassCastException will be thrown."

My question is: In this particular case will this option throw a ClassCastException or a NullPointerException (since a is null)? My guess is a ClassCastException since a doesn't point to an object of class AA (but instead it points to null), but I'm not sure.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In this particular case it will throw NPE because a null can be cast as any class. Since a points to null, it can be cast as AA. So no CCE.

HTH,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

Kevin_C

Post by Kevin_C »

Ah ok, thanks for the answer. Maybe that should be added to the answer. It isn't really relevant to the question itself, but it's still good to know that it will throw a NullPointerException in this case, instead of a ClassCastException.

Something like: "Once you cast a to AA, you can call methods defined in AA. Of course, if a does not point to an object of class AA at runtime, a ClassCastException will be thrown.
In this case however, a is null, so there won't be a problem with the casting (since an AA-object can also be null). Instead, it will throw a NullPointerException."

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Added.
Thank you for your feedback!