About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v7.2.1288 :

Help and support on OCA OCP Java Programmer Certification Questions
1Z0-808, 1Z0-809, 1Z0-815, 1Z0-816, 1Z0-817

Moderator: admin

lucas91

About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v7.2.1288 :

Post by lucas91 »

Hi Paul, I want to know, why the answer attached below is wrong? the only difference from one of the right ones is I put Thread.yield moving from Running to Runnable and no code instead of return moving to Dead state. Do the jvm uses return internally after the run method runs?
Attachments
my answer, only difference is the Thread.yield moving to runnable and no code  moving to Dead state
my answer, only difference is the Thread.yield moving to runnable and no code moving to Dead state
enthuware.gif (10.53 KiB) Viewed 7972 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v7.2.1288 :

Post by admin »

Thread.yield() is valid. But your answer is evaluated as wrong because you have "No code required" for "Running" to "Dead", while you must somehow return from the running thread's run() method (either by return statement or by an exception) to move it to dead.

HTH,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

lucas91

Post by lucas91 »

I see, but if I don't explicitly call return and run method ends the thread goes to dead state also no?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that would be an implicit return and the question is asking for code that could potentially cause the given state change.
But I see your point, it is not really that clear and open to multiple interpretations
-Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

lucas91

Post by lucas91 »

ok, I though that maybe it might have been an implicit return i missed, but yeah the question was not so clear, thanks Paul

Danny Sheridan

Post by Danny Sheridan »

But wouldn't obj.wait() cause the thread's state to become WAITING not BLOCKED?

From the docs of java.lang.Thread.State.WAITING
A thread is in the waiting state due to calling one of the following methods:
Object.wait with no timeout

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It can go to blocked also. As per http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/ap ... ml#BLOCKED
public static final Thread.State BLOCKED
Thread state for a thread blocked waiting for a monitor lock. A thread in the blocked state is waiting for a monitor lock to enter a synchronized block/method or reenter a synchronized block/method after calling Object.wait.
HTH,
Paul.

Danny Sheridan

Post by Danny Sheridan »

I think the docs are referring to how it can happen that a thread would be BLOCKED re-seeking an object's monitor.
I find them a bit unclear but when they say:
reenter a synchronized block/method after calling Object.wait
I believe
... and after a subsequent call to notify
is understood.
In the solution the code obj.notifyAll() causes the change of state from BLOCKED to RUNNABLE
After the obj.wait() call the state is WAITING, then if and when a notify is called it becomes BLOCKED.
The change from BLOCKED to RUNNABLE happens if and when the monitor is acquired.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The diagram in the question is not really a chain of method calls that would take the same thread from one state to all others. It is just meant to show which methods are capable of taking a thread (some thread, not necessarily the same thread) from one state to another. From this perspective, if you call wait from a thread, it will go into blocked state as explained by the quoted JavaDoc.

HTH,
Paul.

zhengye1

Post by zhengye1 »

I want to know why my answer wrong? Does because

Code: Select all

Thread.yield()
should place in Runnable <- Running ? Or

Code: Select all

run() 
in Running -> Dead?
Attachments
Vincent901201_1460346099511_89.png
Vincent901201_1460346099511_89.png (13.6 KiB) Viewed 7158 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is wrong because yield doesn't move a thread from Runnable to Running. It can move a thread from Running to Runnable.