About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v8.2.1381 :

Help and support on OCA OCP Java Programmer Certification Questions
1Z0-808, 1Z0-809, 1Z0-815, 1Z0-816, 1Z0-817

Moderator: admin

RoyEL1

About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v8.2.1381 :

Post by RoyEL1 »

In the answers, for bullet 3
"A exception thrown by a failed assertion cannot be caught using a try/catch block."

But in the explanation, you correctly state "A failed assertion throws java.lang.AssertionError, which can be caught by a catch block."
Would it be a better reading of bullet 3 to be
"A exception thrown by a failed assertion cannot be caught using this try/catch block."

You are still drawing out the idea that it is AssertionError that is not derived from Exception, but retains the idea that you can (not recommended) catch them.

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v8.2.1381 :

Post by admin »

Option 3 says, "An exception thrown by a failed assertion cannot be caught using a try/catch block.". It is marked as incorrect and the reason is explained in the explanation.
2.1381.png
2.1381.png (23.55 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

sharpmario

Post by sharpmario »

Hi, I have a doubt:

if the try block does not throw any exception, why doesn't catch block is unreachable code?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Remember that RuntimeException, which is an unchecked exception, is a subclass of Exception and any RTE can be caught by a catch(Exception e) clause. Therefore, the compiler cannot make a definitive inference that the catch block will not throw any unchecked exception and that is why it has no option but to accept catch(Exception e).

HTH,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

Juno0c

Post by Juno0c »

sharpmario wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:05 pm
Hi, I have a doubt:

if the try block does not throw any exception, why doesn't catch block is unreachable code?
Same doubt here.... I chose "will not compile" because I think the catch block is unreachable block. Can anybody please help me on this?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please go through the response given above. It answers the question that you are asking. Let me know if you still have a doubt.