1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 16

JJJ2020

1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 16

Post by JJJ2020 »

Hi Guys:

I echo the people who would like to see this live on as part of an 819 guide (or before we knew that thought you might do well to make an 816 version)...as it is I think it looks like soon my only interactions with you might be fighting about wording or details on mock exam questions?

If I had a high enough "hit ratio" with my proofreading efforts, I would always consider it if you were looking for community-sourced proofreading for 819 material, by the way. Anyways...

I'd never typed a single command covered in Chapter 16, whereas I did have casual and informal experience with most of the material in the earlier chapters.

p. 406: says "requires a different versions" <- drop either the 'a' or the terminal 's'
My eyesight is not what it used to be but I really found the smaller text in the diagrams in this chapter hard to read in the paper book - I actually waved a magnifying glass over them in a case or two to make sure I was seeing what I thought. In at least one there was ample whitespace to have kicked the font size up a notch without overcrowding...
General note on this chapter, the capitalizaTion stAndards seem to be a bit inconsistent in writing Java Modules System. I know we hit Acronym Overload because JMS already meant "Java Messaging System" ...as already mentioned before, I read more quickly when I see consistency, if they vary from instance to instance I slow down and wonder if it is on purpose or conveys information content...

p. 410 I realized that all the way thru the book I had encountered very little trouble with over-aggressive word breaks at the end of lines tearing words in half.
The algorithm used works wonderfully unless there are stupidly long words in the mix.
Unfortunately, the places that is most likely to be encountered is in command line replications, due to long sub dir and file names.
Further unfortunately, those lines are the most likely to contain '-' or '--' characters that are syntactically meaningful.
There were a couple of places I went cross-eyed trying to see whether a '-' character was syntactically meaningful or a publishing convention indicating a line break in the middle of a contiguous non-white string.
I noted p. 410 simplein-tererst.
Overall, you did an excellent job on these, but it is just something to be careful with. I have noticed that some other books use typographical conventions of special characters like a turn-around arrow that could never be confused with a syntactically meaningful '-' or '--' in the content. I never thought about it before but now realize why. I didn't even notice this until this chapter, which was chock full of command lines and switches!

On p. 411 we write out\simpleinterst

top of p. 416 first word should be "moduleS" not "module" (classes in other modules) it made me turn the page back and forth twice.

p. 416 we write "does this module depends on" that should probably just say "that this module depends on"

p. 417 in the diagram: both thought bubbles for the src branch should say '.java files not shown' not one .java and one .class, right?
I think that's what made me whip out my magnifying glass not trusting my squinting eyes...

also p. 417 I think we write "[jJ]ava [mM]odule [sS]ystemS" which should just be singular.

p. 419 duplicate "exportS and exports to" <-- the keyword is exports, with the terminal s and all lowercase, right? I don't want to spell a new keyword wrong.
Which brings up, of: exports, requires, transitive and to, which ones are new Java keywords and which ones are just conditionally recognized in module-info.java constructs but still available as weird but legal identifier names? I felt unsure after reading this chapter, and that seemed to be on the Part I side of the Part I/Part II divide that has just gone away...

p. 421 "from in terms of" <-- I don't think that sentence needs the 'from' does it?

p. 429 "what all modules are" --> again, legal, but in tech tutorials I'd say "all of the modules that are"

Off to try to see if my brief notes enable me to complete the exercises without looking back at the text. Chapter 17 is just a bite-sized snack after that and I will be taking some assessment tests tho I expect that my next target is 819 rather than the about-to-disappear 815 and 816...the real target was to come across as someone who really knows Java well as it is either my second or third or fourth or fifth language based on how you count it and my desire is to be perceived as a native Javan.

Cheers,
Jesse

admin
Site Admin

Re: 1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 16

Post by admin »

>I echo the people who would like to see this live on as part of an 819 guide (or before we knew that thought you might do well to make an 816 version)...as it is I think it looks like soon my only interactions with you might be fighting about wording or details on mock exam questions?

Yes, we will be working on a guide for 819 but it might take some time because right now we are working on a guide for 1Z0-811.

>as it is I think it looks like soon my only interactions with you might be fighting about wording or details on mock exam questions?

The text in the mock exam questions is not half as good as in the book so, I would request you to just turn a blind eye to such errors. We will go through all the text on our own first and improve it to a level where it can be proofread!

>If I had a high enough "hit ratio" with my proofreading efforts, I would always consider it if you were looking for community-sourced proofreading for 819 material, by the way. Anyways...

Yes, we will be doing something like that with the next book. Even with this book, the cost of the book has been kept at the minimum of what is required by Amazon to print and distribute a printed copy. We make only 35 cents per copy. The rest goes to amazon as printing cost and their share of the profit.

All the errors have been noted.

thank you,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

JJJ2020

Re: 1Z0-815 Book (Second Edition, August 1, 2020 Build 2.1): Typos in Chapter 16

Post by JJJ2020 »

Wow. $0.35. I know it is hard for any author to make big $$$ but wow. It is indeed a great ad for this site tho.
Nobody who reads that book is ever going to forget you are one of the leading and most trusted sources of mock exams, which somehow I had lived from President Nixon thru when I bought the book being only just barely aware of at all. There is so much absolute garbage out there in terms of free or very cheap material, such a waste of time! So I am very glad I found you guys.

IZ0-811, from what I know of it, should have a VERY high re-use ratio for the material. You could use implementation inheritance. If so, almost all of the things I caught would transfer effectively. It was a little interesting reading the differences in material covered between 811 and 815, it seemed neither is a strict subset of the other...not even considering 811 as I am a developer looking for developer jobs, as challenging as 819 seems right now.

I loved the book, and am still looking at some other material, both video and text. I tried a sample exam (not that the 815 itself exists per se anymore) and what people say is true. You need to really know everything quite well with lightning recall and maintain a cool head...maybe the 808 and 811 were/are cake walks, but none of the 815/816 or more relevantly 819 are something you want to go into just "kinda, sorta" knowing your stuff or you'll get beat up bad. I have an engineering degree from a very competitive and tough school, so I am used to "Kinda sorta pretty much knowing the material more or less" yielding a D if you don't slip, or an F if you panic. I don't miss those days but that's my default conception of a test. I guess nobody wanted our cars/planes/trains/elevators/nuclear power plants blowing up because we missed some detail somewhere....

I will admit, I do sort of freak out, as a result of the time and other pressure at incorrect text in questions or answers on (even) mock exams.
Trying an 815 assessment (which I already owned) from a leading friendly competitor I noted that a 3-answer question visually indicated WRONG when I had picked 2 of the 3 correct answers, only the third "showed" as correct...another explanation missed one of two independent reasons a certain line wouldn't compile tho it didn't affect the correct answer choice. So far I hadn't griped about any of their questions.
I already mentioned, there is tons of free material on the web and I find most all of it to be so buggy and low-quality as to be decidedly worse than useless, so I'm glad I found you guys.

I was going to ask somewhere if your 819 mock exams just threw 815 and 816 together and threw a few out and added a few new ones, or are you still continuing to work on questions for 819 at all? I saw your post about the exam but not a description of the new mock tests -- that might be relevant for anyone who purchased 815 and 816 and didn't get to take them before they morphed to 819. Personally, I am going to wait until I am almost done preparing for the 816 parts before buying it.

Cheers!
jesse