About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v7.2.1601 :

Help and support on OCA OCP Java Programmer Certification Questions
1Z0-808, 1Z0-809, 1Z0-815, 1Z0-816, 1Z0-817

Moderator: admin

rostre

About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v7.2.1601 :

Post by rostre »

Hello,

when I run the code fragment from this question, it prints "../z", which was also my choice.
But the correct answer should be "..\..\z"? Maybe someone could explain that?

with regards

admin
Site Admin

Re: About Question enthuware.ocpjp.v7.2.1601 :

Post by admin »

I just ran it and it prints ..\..\z as explained in the question. Are you sure you are running the code exactly as given?

HTH,
Paul.
If you like our products and services, please help us by posting your review here.

Wisevolk

Post by Wisevolk »

Hello,
same answer as rostre and I just copy/paste the code

Crashtest

Post by Crashtest »

I think the answers Wisevolk and rostre had may be incorrect due to being run on an incorrect OS. I run the given code on a Mac and had the same answer:
../z
, but it is wrong. I know from Oracle's website that you can not compare two paths if one is from Win and another from Unix. Probably the same situation is with relativize. I changed "\\" to "//" unix format and got correct answer

Code: Select all

import java.nio.file.Path;
import java.nio.file.Paths;

public class Relativize {
	public static void main(String[] args) {
		Path p1 = Paths.get("x//y");   // changed, on Windows you need: "x\\y"
		Path p2 = Paths.get("z");
		Path p3 = p1.relativize(p2);
		System.out.println(p3);
	}

}
Now it prints correctly:

Code: Select all

../../z

bluster

Post by bluster »

For future questioners, Crashtest nailed it. I just tested on both Mac and Windows, and with the slash direction adjustments got what he said on Mac, and what Paul said on Windows.

insider

Post by insider »

"//" unix format
Probably it's needed to add that having two forward slashes looks pointless and misleading, one slash is enough.
Windows-style code has two backslashes in a row because the first one is escape character. With forward slash there's nothing to escape.

Unfortunately the code is actually platform-dependent. If I got this right, on Unix backslash is treated as part of the file name and not as a separator. Thus in "x\\y" there's actually one segment and not two. Windows, however, is more lenient and calmly translates forward slash to backslash as a separator.

Therefore running "x/y" produces "..\..\z" result on both Windows and Unix (but never puts you in a confusing situation thus not giving a chance to learn something). Running "x\\y" produces "..\..\z" only on Windows but not on Unix where the result is "..\z".